Stop Metro Genocide Against the Black Nation Campaign Page
U.S. Department of Transportation
Investigates MTA for citations and arrests
that egregiously target Black riders
Strategy Center Calls on Mayor Eric Garcetti
Supervisors Mark Ridley Thomas and Hilda Solis
to stop these racist policies in their tracks
MTA’s “fare collection” and criminalization of the non-existent “crime” of “fare evasion” is nothing more than a racist stop and frisk against all MTA passengers but especially Black passengers.
But the MTA has implemented a “broken windows” approach to fare enforcement resulting in a severe pattern and practice of systemically criminalizing Black riders who are only 19% of rail riders but make up 50% of all LA Metro citations and close to 60% of Sheriffs’ arrests each year. Black riders are subjected to police stops, fare checks, racial profiling, frisks, citations, fines and even jail time as a result of discriminatory fare enforcement and heightened policing “stop and frisk” civil rights violations on transit lines and hubs serving extremely low-income communities of color.
- An end to ‘stop and frisk’ discretionary fare enforcement and harassment of Black passengers;
- An immediate end to all fare collection on MTA trains and buses;
- Withdrawal of all fare collection staff, officers, police (armed and un-armed) from MTA trains and buses;
- A thorough and public accounting of all police fare checks, detainments, searches, use of force, citations, and arrests on the MTA system that is disaggregated by race, gender, race within gender, age, location, criminal and/or Transit Court outcomes, and underlying criminal and/or administrative violation;
- Policies of reparation, repair, and compensation to Black riders, including but not limited to granting amnesty for all outstanding citations issued on MTA buses and trains, clearing arrest records, and closure of the MTA Transit Court;
- Freezing of all federal funds to the MTA pending successful implementation of remedial action; and
- Creating a federally enforced civil rights structure of oversight of all MTA policies that includes the Labor/Community Strategy Center as a recognized class representative as it was in the federal Consent Decree from 1996-2006.
We need you to stand up to MTA transit racism and genocide against the Black Nation now
Take Action Now
Click Below to Tweet this Page Now